• Students will choose an issue to write an editorial piece about
• Students will write a letter to the editor or an editorial piece for publication in the school’s newspaper or website.
Freewrite: This I believe. . .
Make a list of what you believe to be true.
- o Choose a topic of controversy
- If you need a topic I have a list
- Needs to be a topic that you know something about.
- The subject must be supportable by facts
- o Recognize the opposite side
- Address the opinion of the other side by stating why their opinions are wrong
- o Support with Facts & Examples
- Research if Possible
- o Strong introduction, Organized, Spell Check, Proper Conventions
- o Beware of being overly controversial in your topic choice
- Avoid overused topics
- Avoid being too personal or emotional
- Don’t overly Aggressive!
- Final Punchline or clincher about your opinion.
Tuesday, September 21
students will think with literature
Students will develop inductive and analytical questions which they will use to guide their independent/SSR reading.
Lessons: IR/SSR Work Day
Proposal’s are due tomorrow!
Monday September 20, 2010
Sustained Silent Reading:
Timer is set for 30 minutes.
Students read silently for the full time. They may read any BOOK of their choosing.
BUT it is suggested that they read their Independent reading books for their assignment.
Last 10-18 minutes of class
Continue to read and/or do Reader Response Journal.